Student Cluster Competition
- What is the name of your team and why did you choose it?
- Our team name is GeekPie_HPC. GeekPie_ is a large comprehensive student association in our
school attracting science enthusiasts of different backgrounds. The underscore simulates a
blinking cursor in the command line. The association has various branches like
GeekPie_Robotics, GeekPie_Security and GeekPie_DevOps. We are the HPC branch, so our team
name is GeekPie_HPC.
- Why do you think your team will have an edge in the event (what's your secret sauce)?
We are designing a dynamic cooling & power management utility, which could help us control
the power consumption of major parts automatically, and thus deliver the best computation
performance within the 3kW limit.
- What have you done to prepare that makes your team unique?
Half of our team members took the Parallel Computing course last semester and learned a
bunch of parallel algorithms. We take advantage of these methods and port VPIC onto GPU
in this competition. Also, our group members have different backgrounds, some of which
have lots of experience in hardware architecture, and others have adept software skills. We
have group meetings periodically to push each other and exchange ideas.
We also proved our team is unique:
As the competition rule stated, each member can participate in at most one team.
Conversely, if any two picked teams share any member, then they must be the same team.
As far as the uniqueness of human individuals is admitted, the uniqueness of any team is
- What are you most looking forward to in the competition?
8 NVIDIA Tesla V100.
- How long will it take you to get to Denver? It will take at least 16 hours from Shanghai to Denver by air. We need to transfer flights at least
once during the trip.
- What do your team members do for fun?
We all like to stay up late. We like listening to music, playing instruments and singing, and three
members are in the school choir and the band. One member (Zheqi) loves collecting second-handed servers and assembling them.
- If your team had a theme song, what would it be?
⽆无敌 (Invincible) https://youtu.be/gHbo2mtroTk
- Can you share an interesting fact about your team?
We are from the youngest school among all the participants. We will celebrate our centennial
anniversary after 94 years.