Student Cluster Competition
UMass Boston, UMass Lowell
- What is the name of your team and why did you choose it?
Our team is called the MGHPCC Green Team. This name was chosen some years ago because all of the competitors come from Universities that founded the Massachusetts Green High Performance Computing Center. The power for this center is primarily provided by a nearby hydroelectric facility. Many researchers from our home universities use the facilities at MGHPCC for their groundbreaking research.
- Why do you think your team will have an edge in the event (what's your secret sauce)?
It’s a secret to everybody.
- What have you done to prepare that makes your team unique?
We have been meeting as a group and working together for the past nine months. We also bring a lot of diverse academic experiences and technical backgrounds to the table, which we hope will help us with the domain sciences the applications come from.
- What are you most looking forward to in the competition?
We are looking forward most to meeting people who share our interests in HPC and computing generally. At a competition such as the Student Cluster Competition at SC you are able to meet people with passion around computing from all over the world.
- How long will it take you to get to Denver?
At an average walking speed of 3.1 miles per hour and an 8 hour break per day, we expect to arrive in 39 days. Walking in parallel (side by side) will not speed up our journey, but walking in a single file reduces air resistance and saves time.
- What do your team members do for fun?
Team members all enjoy studying and working on HPC.
- If your team had a theme song, what would it be?
Under Pressure by David Bowie
- Can you share an interesting fact about your team?
No two team members are from the same country.